How to Recognize Undergarments Through Out Fashion History
Topics – for Undergarments.
- Stays to Corsets – Stays replaced by corsets after 1840.
- Rational Dress Reform – Mrs. Bloomer, Rationals, Dr.Jaeger, Swimwear.
- Edwardian Corsetry – S bend corset, corsets after 1907 and 1911.
- Early Corsetry – Crete to farthingales, bum rolls, and boned stays.
- Drawers to Knickers – Pantaloons, Drawers, Knickers to Panties.
- Crinolines – Differences in crinoline styles from the 1830s to 1860s.
- C18th Paniers – Development of the sack dress, styles of pannier hoops.
- Bustles – How to Differentiate Between the bustles of the 1870s & 1883/5.
- Bras and Girdles Before 1950 – Brassiè²¥s to 1915, Bras/girdles to 50s.
- Bras After 1950 – Sweater Girl 1950s, The 1960s all change to 2000.
- Other Underwear – Chemise, Chemisettes, Camisoles, and Petticoats.
- How to Recognize Undergarments Through Out Fashion History
Undergarments Table of Contents
- Greek Corsetry
- The Middle Ages
- 16th Century Iron Corsets
- Farthingale Petticoats
- Bum Rolls
- 17th Century Stays
- 17th Century Boned Bodices
A look at corsetry from classical Crete, to Medieval and C16th iron corsets, farthingales, bum rolls, and boned stays.
- Panier or Panniers
- 18th Century Sack Dress
- 18th Century Laced Stays
- The Gown à La Française 1720
- 18th Century Panier Hoop Frames
- Gown à La’ Anglaise 1728
- The Polonaise 1772
- Return to Nature – the 1780s
Development of the sack dress. Styles of pannier hoops and developments to the polonaise.
Stays to Corsets
- Stays Replaced by Corsets
- Corsets after 1840
- The Horsehair Crinoline Petticoat of 1the 830s
- Cage Crinoline or Artificial Crinoline of 1856
- W. S. Thomson Patents Metal Cage Crinoline
- Crinoline Styles
- 1860 – Crinoline Fullness Moves to Skirt Back
- The Emergence of the Polonaise
- The Tournure
- How to Differentiate Between Bustles 1870 & 1883
- Bustle Support 1870s
- Slender Fashions of 1875 – 1883
- The Revived Bustle of 1883
- The 1890s
How to spot the differences between bustle styles. The first and second bustle eras.
Pictures of bustle mesh frames.
- The Mature Edwardian Figure
- The Health Corset
- The S-Bend Corset Fashion to Tight Lace
- The Mono Bosom Effect
- The Corset after 1907
- Veblen’s Corset Theories
- The 1911 Elastic Belt and Bust Bodice
Edwardian S-bend corsets, mono bosoms, long corsets, elastic improvements and bust bodices. Veblen’s corset theories.
Bras and Girdles Before 1950
- Vogue Reports the First Brassiere 1907
- Early Brassières Pre 1915
- Mary Phelps-Jacobs’s Patented Bra 1914
- The Symington Side Lacer
- Latex to Dunlop’s Lastex to Elastic
- Bras after 1930
- Warners Introduce Cup Sizing 1835
- Utility Bras – 1940s
The first bra and changes in bras and girdles in the early 20th century.
Bras After 1950
- Sweater Girl Glamour 1950s
- Bras and Corselette Adverts 1953
- The 1960s All Change
- Burn That Bra
- The Original Gossard Wonderbra 1968 -1990s
- Bra Slips
- Underwear – 1970s
- Bodysuits, Teddies and Basques – 1980s
- The Return of Cleavage – 1the 990s
- Bioform Bras
- The Ultimo Bra – May 2000
Bra slips, bodysuits, teddies, cleavage, Wonderbras and Bioforms after 1950.
Drawers to Knickers
- The Need for Nether Region Underwear
- The Adoption of Pantaloons
- Victorian Drawers to Combinations and Knickers
- Drawers 1840-76
- Combinations Arrive in 1877
- From Layers and Layers to a Single Layer
- Knickers to Panties
- Knickers Can Be Naughty
A brief history of the development of drawers, knickers to panties.
- Rational Dress Reform
- Amelia Bloomer 1818-1894
- Rational Dress Society 1881
- Lady Harberton’s Cycling Outfit & the Hautboy Hotel
- Dr. Jaeger
- The Tailor Made Suit of the 1890s
- Clothing Rules Are Broken
How the word bloomer became and everyday word through rational dress reform.
D.r Jaeger and his sanitary woollen underwear and the developments to swimwear fashion styles of the late Victorian and early twentieth century.
- Why Do We Need Undergarments
- Dating Underclothes
- The Chemise
- The Chemisette
- The Camisole
- The Petticoat
Internet Links – Lingerie/Swimwear