Learn how to have willpower and how to develop self-discipline
Willpower and self-discipline play a major role in life, leading to success if you possess them, or to failure or mediocrity if you lack them.
These two skills are vital ingredients for handling efficiently any task and for achieving any goal.
Let’s Start by Defining What Are Willpower and Self-Discipline
- The ability to control or reject unnecessary or harmful impulses.
- The ability to arrive at a decision and follow it with perseverance, until its successful accomplishment.
- It is the inner strength that enables you to refuse to indulge in unnecessary and useless habits.
- It is an inner power that enables you to overcome inner and external resistance and obstacles.
- It is the antidote to laziness and procrastination.
Self Discipline Definitions:
- It is the companion of willpower. It gives you the stamina to persevere with whatever you do.
- It is the strength to withstand physical, emotional and mental hardships and difficulties.
- It stands for perseverance and tenacity.
- It is the ability to reject immediate satisfaction, pleasure or comfort, in order to gain something better, even if it requires effort and time to gain.
When you have strong willpower and develop self-discipline, you can choose your reactions and can overcome negative habits. These two skills make you feel more powerful, confident, and in charge of yourself and of your life.
- Do you sometimes, feel that you lack the inner strength to take action, act assertively or persevere?
- Are there any habits you want to change, but you lack the necessary inner strength to do so?
- How many times you have you decided to go for a walk, knowing how wonderful you feel afterward, but due to laziness or lack of inner strength, you stayed at home and watched TV instead?
- How many times have you tried to change your eating habits, stop smoking, or get up earlier in the morning, but you didn’t possess enough inner strength and persistence?
- Do you start doing things, but quit after a short while?
You can change this behavior when you strengthen your self-discipline and willpower.
There is a misconception in the public mind regarding the two skills we are talking about here. It is erroneously believed that their development requires a lot of mental and physical strain and effort. This is not true. You can build up these skills through simple exercises and even enjoy the process.
How to Strengthen Your Willpower and Self Discipline
A simple and effective technique to strengthen these two skills is to do things, which you would rather avoid doing, due to laziness, procrastination, lack of assertiveness, shyness, or other reasons.
By carrying out such actions, despite your inner resistance and reluctance, you become stronger.
As muscles get stronger by resisting the weight of barbells, so these skills are strengthened by overcoming the inner resistance.
Build Up a Strong Willpower
Easy to follow program for increasing your willpower, self-discipline and inner strength, with all the instructions, guidance and exercises you need.
Overcome procrastination, get rid of laziness, and develop decisiveness.
Gain perseverance and finish whatever you start.
Simple and Powerful Exercises
Exercise no. 1
You are sitting on a bus or train and an old man or woman, or a pregnant lady walks in. Stand up and give up your seat, even if you prefer to stay seated. Act so, not just because it is polite, but because you are doing something that you are reluctant to do. This is an exercise in overcoming the resistance of your body, mind, and feelings.
Exercise no. 2
There are dishes in the sink that need washing, and you postpone washing them for later. Get up and wash them now. Do not let laziness control you. When you know that in this way, you are actually strengthening yourself, it becomes easier to take immediate action, despite laziness and the desire to procrastinate.
Exercise no. 3
You come home from work and sit in front of the T.V. because you feel too lazy and too tired to take a shower first. Do not succumb to the desire to sit in front of the T.V, and go take a shower immediately.
Exercise no. 4
Do you like your coffee with sugar? If you do, then for one whole week drink it without sugar. Do you drink three cups of coffee each day? If you do, then drink only two cups a day for one whole week.
Exercise no. 5
Do you, like many others, like to read some unimportant gossip in the newspaper or magazine? Then, for one whole week, abstain from doing so. This might not be easy, but it’s good for your training. I am not telling you to do so indefinitely, but for only one week.
Exercise no. 6
If you have the choice of going up with the elevator or climbing the stairs, choose climbing the stairs. However, climb the stairs only if it’s not a high story, and you are in good physical condition.
These are very simple exercises, which everyone can practice. Remember, the purpose of the exercises is to develop inner strength, not to make life difficult for you.
Do you want more exercises, more guidance and more advice, so you increase your self-discipline and increase willpower much more? If you do, I highly recommend that the read my book about this topic.
When you practice weight lifting, aerobics, or any other kind of sport, you strengthen your muscles, and ca, therefore, use your physical strength whenever you need it.
It is the same with willpower and self-discipline. When you strengthen them, you make them available for your use anytime you need them. They give you more control over your life, help you change habits, and give you the necessary inner strength required for personal and spiritual growth, and for achieving success.